Redefine beautiful!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Stay the Course on Vacation!

Along with souvenirs and perhaps a cute new handbag or sunglasses, most of us bring home a few pounds and a little more flab from vacation.  We tell ourselves that we should be allowed to be less disciplined on vacation and throw caution to the wind when it comes to eating.  It’s almost as if we think we are immune to weight gain when visiting another city, state or country. 


Randy, my wonderful husband actually LOST weight on our last mini trip.  (The bum!)

I love food and I understand how it factors in to a vacation, but that does not mean I have to consume more calories.  For example, Randy and I took my son and his girlfriend to a really nice restaurant while in LA last weekend.  While my son and his girlfriend ordered some delicious entrees and appetizers, Randy and I ordered a small salad because we really only wanted a bite or two of what they had ordered.  We knew from past experience that they would order more than they could eat.  


Ahhhh, vacation at home! I made these "tacos" for the kids one afternoon thinking I had nothing in the fridge they'd like.  Huge hit!!  And it was super easy and healthy!  (Recipe below.) 

Often we eat more on vacation because we don’t want to waste food and, since we can’t take it “to go”, we’ll continue to eat.  I didn’t leave hungry but I wasn’t stuffed and I feel so much better when I’m not bloated!  We walked at least 8 hours the next day so when we got to our hotel later that day, I pumped out 20 push ups, fifty crunches and stretched my back and legs before going to bed. You can enjoy yourself and be mindful, even when you’re on vacation!


Bodeci Summer Tacos

sliced turkey
avocado
shredded mozzarella 
corn tortillas
Ranch dressing
hot sauce 
dill pickles (optional)

Spray medium sized skillet with olive oil spray then place on medium-high heat until a drop of water would sizzle.  Place one tortilla in the skillet and heat for about 30 seconds (or less) then turn.  Reduce heat by 1/3 then spread a small handful of cheese on tortilla then a slice of turkey.  Cover for about a minute to 90 seconds until cheese melts then top with a few thin slices of avocado, a drizzle of the Ranch and a few drops of the hot sauce. Serve hot and garnish with sliced dill pickles if you'd like!  (I prefer a mixed greens concoction atop the taco.)  Enjoy!  



Luba's before picture.  Wait until you see her NOW!  (Tomorrow...)

No comments:

Post a Comment