Redefine beautiful!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blue Suede Traveling Shoes

When traveling, stretch your spine!!  How often?  Every chance you get, darlin!

I'm here.  At the USC campus for a quick visit with GianPaolo before heading to Florida for another John Lennon art show.  I am writing this post just outside the buildings of the School of Cinematic Arts and all around me are tones teeming with creativity.  I just love it!

Lucky kid!  I will reap some of his education by asking a whole lot of questions.



Background:  musical scales on a trumpet and a soprano voice sings an obscure tune just around the corner.  Bicycles whiz past me, their spoked wheels beating time to the melodies filling the spit shined, blueness atop the buildings.  I pretend to be one of the students; just a regular gal in a world of genius.  No biggie.  Yeah, I can pull this off.
Just a regular old building here.

On the predawn flight down here, I snap a shot of me performing a perfunctory stretch.  Lady across the aisle looks at me like I'm twisted.
I call this my "number 4" stretch.  I do it constantly during flights.  (Sorry neighbor!)

As I wait in "ground transportation" at LAX for Eugene, our favorite cab driver, (retired engineer with two USC grads to his credit) to pick up my Starbucked body and deliver it to the campus, I release my tight hamstrings by putting one foot up on the bench and leaning into my outstretched leg.  Oh my, I am tight today.


All you need is a bench.  Maybe a few dips?  Nahhh..

My neck has been kind of crunchy, pinchy so I resort to my old faithful; open my chest, lean back without arching my low back and take a deep breath.  The exhaust almost chokes me, but my thoracic spine feels looser.  (See photo above, taken last summer.)



I elevate my legs for a few moments, people watching.  We are all so different.  I love it!


Ahhh, I am alone and nobody knows me!  Yes, use your luggage for an ottoman! 
I will walk a lot.  I will stretch whenever and wherever I can.  I will be someone else for a few days, but I will be myself.

Do you travel for business?  Do you have a fitness related routine that helps you feel your best?  Give me the scoop!  I need to hear from you well seasoned travelers.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debra - I don't travel on a plane for business but do make longhaul flights back to UK... I try and stretch and walk around the plane as much as possible on these flights. Also to do as many excercises as poss with my feet and legs whilst I am in my seat... Have done your stretches pictured as I read the post above! HOpe your visit goes well - what a wonderful place. S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one busy gal...have fun! Loved the pic of G. So handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I will try to do those seated exercises during the flight. At this point, I am already a "nut case" with taking photos of my stretching self. What is a quick "run in place" in my seat after take off? This is all so new to me!

    Janice, Busy and happy. Like I said earlier, when I am static in the homestead, lets go to the lunch truck!

    ReplyDelete